4 grams of carbs | 2 grams of fiber | 3 grams of protein
Kale is very high in nutrients and very low in calories, making it one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet.
A single cup of raw kale (2.5 ounces) contains:
- Vitamin A: 206% of the daily value (from beta-carotene)
- Vitamin K: 684% of the daily value
- Vitamin C: 134% of the daily value
- Vitamin B6: 9% of the daily value
- Manganese: 26% of the daily value
- Calcium: 9% of the daily value
- Copper: 10% of the daily value
- Potassium: 9% of the daily value
- Magnesium: 6% of the daily value
- It also contains 3% or more of the DV for vitamin B1 (thiamin), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), iron and phosphorus
Kale is very high in antioxidants that help counteract oxidative damage by free radicals in the body. Oxidative damage is believed to be among the leading drivers of aging and many diseases, including cancer. Kale's antioxidants also have powerful heart-protective, blood pressure-lowering, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-depressant effects as well.